Italian Sausage and Peppers with Penne Pasta
|2 lbs Italian sausage, hot or sweet or a combination|
|2 large onions, halved and thinly sliced|
|1 red pepper, seeded and cut into strips|
|1 green pepper, seeded and cut into strips|
|1 yellow pepper, seeded and cut into strips|
|1 orange pepper, seeded and cut into strips|
|6 cloves garlic, minced|
|1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil|
|2 tsp oregano|
|1 lb pene pasta, cooked according to package directions|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste.|
|fresh Parmesan cheese for sprinkling|
- Cook pene according to package directions and set aside
- In a large saute pan add 1/4 cup of the olive oil, add the sausage and cook using medium high heat, turning frequently until cooked through. About 10-15 minutes.
- When sausage is done, remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the other 1/4 cup of olive oil and add the onions, peppers and garlic.
- Stir fry until tender crisp.
- Season with salt, pepper and oregano, then add back the sausage and gently mix.
- Add pene to a large platter and top with the sausage, pepper and onion mixture.
- Serve family style, sprinkled with Parmesan and drizzled with a little more olive oil if desired.