Carolina Red Barbecue Secret Sauce
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 1 tbs vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbs Coleman's dry mustard
- 2 tbs dark brown sugar
- 2 tbs paprika
- 1 tbs kosher salt
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
In eastern North Carolina traditional barbecue sauce is all vinegar and spices with no tomato.This is a version that has tomato along with the traditional eastern North Carolina spices and it is sure to knock you socks off.
- In a medium saucepan, saute the onion and garlic in oil until softened but not browned
- Add all the remaining ingredients except for the ketchup an d bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the ketchup and mix well.