Spiedie (Italian Grilled Meat)
|2 lbs beef tenderloin cut into 1 inch chunks|
|1/2 cup red wine vinegar|
|1/2 cup olive oil|
|1/2 cup beer|
|4-6 cloves garlic, minced|
|2 tbs lemon juice|
|1 tbs chili powder|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1 tbs chopped mint|
|1 tbs chopped parsley|
|soaked wooden skewers|
|1 bunch of asparagus, tough ends trimmed|
Spiedie originated with Italian immigrants who put grilled meats on a roll and served it as a workman’s hot lunch. This version marinates meats in spicy marinade then grills the meats of your choice over hot charcoal. You may use beef, chicken, pork, lamb or venison. For the purposes of this recipe we are using beef.Directions:
- Soak 8-10 wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Add all of the ingredients, except for the beef in a large bowl and mix well.
- Add the beef cubes, cover and refrigerate for several hours.
- Add the beef cubes evenly to the skewers, then grill over hot charcoal until medium rare.
- Add the asparagus to the grill and cook until slightly charred, about 10 minutes
- Turn skewers occasionally and take care not to over cook.