Jerked Jamaican Oxtails
- 2 lb oxtails cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 small red onions quartered
- 1 large leek cleaned and roughly chopped
- 1/4 lb of ginger root peeled and sliced
- 10 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tbs fresh thyme
- 1 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
- juice from 1 lime
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper(left whole)
- tsp of allspice
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 2 large spring onions shredded for garnish
- 2 cups of water
- 1/4 cup red wine
The Jamaican Jerk spices give this dish a distinctive flavor while the oxtails give it an incomparable richness. Slow cooking is essential and this recipe may be prepared stove top or in a slow cooker. You will get super tender meat but you will also bring out the flavors and allow them to mingle until the meat is truly succulent. This recipe will serve 6.
- Soak the oxtail in cold water for 2 hours, During this 2 hour period change the water 2 or 3 times. This will remove any blood in the meat.
- Drain the meat and trim off any fat.
- Place all ingredients in a slow cooker except for the spring onions and cook on high for 6 hours(follow the directions on the cooker)
- If you are going to cook stove the cooking time will be about the same over low heat. Be sure to check regularly and add more water or stock if necessary.