|4 lbs oxtails|
|3 tbs peanut oil|
|4 carrots, chopped|
|2 turnips, peeled and diced into big pieces|
|4 stalks celery, chopped into large pieces|
|2 onions peeled and chopped into large pieces|
|3 -4 cups beef stock|
|1 cup red wine|
|3 bay leaves|
|5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced|
|2 tsp dried thyme|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|roux: 1/2 cup flour browned in 1/2 cup butter|
- Brown the oxtails in a hot pan with a little oil.
- When they are browned all over, remove them from the pan and place in an oven proof casserole.
- In the used pan saute the carrots, celery, onions and turnips. About 5 minutes.
- Add the mixture to the oxtails along with the beef stock, red wine, bay leafs, thyme, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 2 and 1/2 hours or until the meat is very tender.
- To thicken the stew add the prepared roux.