Halibut Stew with Red Wine Sauce
|2 tbs unsalted butter|
|1/2 lb mushrooms, quarered|
|1/2 cup onion, minced|
|1/4 cup shallots, minced|
|1/4 cup carrots, peeled and minced|
|1/4 cup celery, miinced|
|3 cloves garlic, minced|
|1 tbs fresh thyme, chopped or 2 tsp dried|
|1 bay leaf|
|2 tbs flour|
|1 1/2 cups dry red wine|
|1 cup fish broth or clam juice|
|2 lbs halibut filets|
|Kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste|
|2 tbs cognac|
|2 tbs fresh parsley, chopped|
- Heat the butter in a saucepan and add the mushrooms, onion, shallots, carrots, celery, garlic thyme and bay leaf. Saute, stirring until the onion has wilted.
- Add the flour and stir.
- Add the wine, fish broth, and cloves, stirring to combine with a wire whisk.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 20 minutes and reduce liquid to about 2 cups.
- Add the fish, salt and pepper, stirring gently so that the fish is coated with the sauce.
- Simmer for 5 minutes and add the cognac.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.