- 8 large pig ears cut into quarters
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 cup seasoned flour
- vegetable oil for frying
- If you are making sandwiches
- 6-8 small hamburger buns
- mustard coleslaw
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
The key to making these pig ears tender and delicious is long slow cooking. This recipe is for crispy ears, however after cooking the ears Are used on little sandwiches topped with mustard coleslaw.
- Add the ears to a large pot cover with water and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes, then drain the water and add the ears to a crock pot, along with the garlic, onion, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Cover the ears with water and cook on low for 20-24 hours or until very tender.
- At this point you may slice ears and use for sandwiches.
- To prepare the crispy ears, place the ears in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes to dry and harden the ears somewhat.
- For the crispy ears, cut the ears into strips, dip them into buttermilk and seasoned flour, and fry them in 350 degree oil for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- You may add the strips to a salad or a sandwich, or present them with a variety of dipping sauces.