|24 large shrimp|
|1/4 cup flour|
|4 tbs sesame seeds|
|Kosher and cracked black pepper to taste|
|1 large egg|
|1 cup vegetable oil for deep frying|
|1/4 cup soy sauce|
|1 scallion, minced|
|1 tsp dried chili flakes|
|1 tbs sesame oil|
|1-2 tsp sugar|
|scallion strips for garnish|
- Peel and devein the shrimp, leaving the tails for presentation.
- Slice the shrimp along the body, place on a cutting board, and press firmly to flatten slightly to make a butterfly shape.
- Put the flour, half the sesame seeds, salt and pepper in a food processor and blend for 30 seconds.
- Add the mixture to a bowl and coat the shrimp with the mixture, shaking off the excess.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl with the remaining sesame seeds, salt and pepper.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large wok or skillet.
- Working in batches, holding each shrimp by the tail, dip into the beaten egg, then carefully lower into the oil.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until crisp and golden, turning once or twice.
- Remove the shrimp and drain on paper towels.
- To make the dipping sauce, stir together the soy sauce, scallion, chilies, oil and sugar until the sugar dissolves.
- Arrange the shrimp on a plate, garnish with strips of scallion.