Squash and Smoked Haddock Chowder
- 3/4 lb smoked haddock fillet, boneless and skinless
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, trimmed and chopped
- 1 1/2 lb squash, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 3 cups potatoes, cut into chunks
- 3 1/2 cups fish or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 2/3 cup milk or half and half
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
- 2 tbs chopped parsley
- Heat oil in a heavy saucepan and gently cook the onion, garlic and celery for about 10 minutes.
- Add the squash and potatoes to the saucepan and stir to combine.
- Gradually add the stock and bring to a boil.
- Cover then reduce to a simmer and cook for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the dry sherry remove the pan from the heat and let cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the mixture to a food processor process until still slightly chunky, then remove to a clean saucepan.
- Meanwhile, place the fish in a skillet, then pour in the milk and 3 tbs of water and bring
almost to the boiling point.
- Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for about 5 minutes or until the fish flakes easily.
- Remove from the heat and remove fish from the liquid,
- Flake the fish with a fork, then stir in to the soup.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.