Spicy Shredded Leek and Spring Onion Salad
- 2 large leeks, white and light green parts cleaned thoroughly
- 4 spring onions, white parts only
- 1 tbs hot chili powder
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced
- 2 tsp cider vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbs sesame seeds
- Kosher or sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
This is a classic Korean side dish that is served with barbecued or grilled meat dishes. It goes especially well with pork.
- Julienne the leeks and spring onions and place them in a large bowl of ice water and let them soak for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix the chili powder, sesame oil, garlic, cider vinegar, sugar and sesame seeds and mix well.
- Drain the leeks and onions and place them in a serving bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the leeks and toss before serving.
- Season with salt and pepper.