Trinidad Black Bean Soup
- 1 lb black beans
- 1/2 lb corn beef or pigs tails
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 sprig fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried
- 2 stalks celery with leaves, chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped, white and green parts
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups chicken stock
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 hot pepper, chopped
- Soak the beans overnight in cold water.
- Drain, and discard the water.
- Put the beans into a large sauce pan or stock pot.
- Add the corned beef or pig tails, the onion, garlic, parsley, thyme, celery, scallions, bay leaf, chicken stock and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer until the beans are very tender, about 2 hours.
- Discard the bay leaf, remove the corn beef, or the pigs tail.
- Puree the soup in an electric blender, or in a food mill.
- Return the soup to the sauce pan, and taste for seasoning.
- You may return the corn beef and pigs tails if desired.