Puerto Rican Green Plantain Soup
- 2 green plantains
- kosher salt
- 4 tbs vegetable oil or lard
- 6 cups beef stock
- grated Parmesan cheese
In Puerto Rico this soup is called Sopa de Platanos Verdes.
- Peel the plantains and cut into 1/2 inch slices.
- Soak in cold salted water for 20 minutes.
- Drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat oil or lard in a heavy frying pan and saute the plantain slices until they are tender. About 15 minutes.
- Lift out and drain on paper towels.
- Crush in a mortar so that they break into bits.
- Heat the beef stock in a sauce pan and add the plantain bits.
- Simmer for 15 minutes longer.
- Serve sprinkled with Parmesan.