- 1 lb lamb sweet breads
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- a bundle of thyme and parsley, tied together
- 2 tsp black peppercorns
- 1/4 stick unsalted butter
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- lemon wedges for serving
Sweetbreads are delicious and totally under used by the home cook. They are easy to prepare and they are wonderful served with sauteed pea shoots, bacon, capers, spinach or watercress. Use you imagination and create something special.
- Rinse the sweet breads thoroughly under running water.
- In a large sauce pan bring about 4-5 cups of water to a boil.
- Add the white wine, garlic, thyme, parsley and black peppercorns to the pan and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
- Add your sweet breads to the water, making sure that they are covered, and simmer for about 3 minutes, no more.
- Remove the sweetbreads from the pan and place on a paper towel and allow to cool enough to handle.
- Once the sweetbreads are cool enough to handle, peel off the membrane completely. This is an important step.
- In a hot saute pan add the butter and the olive oil.
- Season the sweetbreads with salt and pepper and add to the hot pan.
- Turn the sweet breads several times to achieve an golden brown color all over.
- Serve with lemon wedges and sauteed vegetables of your choice.