- 1 cup hot milk
- 1/2 cup of half and half
- 4 large ears of corn or 2 cups (kernels removed and husk scraped for juice)
- 1 and 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 2 cups grated cheese (use whatever you like sometimes I use cheddar, other times I use a combination of Swiss cheeses for the base and Parmigiana regiano as a topping)
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Dash of white pepper
- 3 eggs separated
Here is a quick and satisfying way to take advantage of this summers corn bounty while it lasts. The great thing about this recipe is that it is very adaptable. You can use any cheese that you like as well as add any herbs or spices that you like.
- Heat milk and half and half to slow simmer
- Combine the milk and half and half mixture with crumbs, corn, cheese and seasonings in a large bowl.
- Separate the eggs and beat the yolks well then stir them into the corn mixture.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Stir 1/4 of the egg white mixture into the corn mixture throughly.
- Fold in remaining egg whites gently.
- Turn Mixture into a 1 and 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 1 hour until golden brown.
- If fresh corn is not available you may substitute 17 oz can of creamed corn (2 cups).