Charleston Shrimp and Grits
|1 pound large shrimp|
|1 tbs olive oil|
|4 shallots, diced|
|4 cloves garlic, sliced|
|4 cups water|
|1 tsp tomato paste|
|3 sprigs fresh thyme|
|2 bay leaves|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|2 strips lemon peel|
|2 tbs unsalted butter, room temperature|
|2 tsp flour|
|1/4 lb smoked sausage, cut into rounds|
|2 tsp red pepper flakes|
|2 scallions, white and green parts, cut on a bias|
|1 rib celery diced|
|1 cup grits, cooked|
|parsley, chopped for garnish|
Here is the recipe that we developed. Don’t be dismayed by the number of ingredients.One of the key factors on the journey to becoming a good cook is employing the French concept of “mise en place” . This means having all the ingredients necessary for a dish prepared and ready to combine up to the point of cooking. If you always do this you will find that the quality and taste of you finished dishes will improve dramatically. So get everything together before you start! Ok, here it is.
- Peel and devein shrimp reserving the shells. Dry the shrimp between paper towels and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Heat olive oil in a medium sized heavy bottomed sauce pan over medium heat. Add the shrimp shells, onion, celery, carrot and garlic..saute until the shells are crisp and the aromatics tender.. about 10 minutes..watch carefully..do not burn the garlic.
- Add the water, tomato paste, thyme, bay leaf, peppercorns and lemon peel. Cover and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer partially covered until the stock is flavorful and reduced. ( about one hour)
- Strain the stock into a small sauce pan ( there should be about one and a half cups) keep the stock hot.(use a hand held strainer)
- While the stock is simmering, in a small bowl mash the butter and flour into a smooth paste. Set aside .
- Saute the sausage in a large non stick skillet over medium-low heat until slightly crispy. (8 to 10 minutes)
- Move sausage to periphery of the skillet and increase the heat the medium.
- Arrange the shrimp in a single layer and sear until pink, turning once.
- Add red pepper flakes, salt and fresh black pepper.
- Use tongs and transfer the shrimp and sausage to a warm plate.
- Add the stock to the pan and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Whisk in the reserved butter and flour mixture…cook until thickened(about 20 seconds)
- Return the shrimp and sausage to the mixture in the pan , and taste and adjust seasoning if necessary
- To serve spoon hot grits into shallow bowls… top with the shrimp and sausage mixture..
- Garnish with green onion and parsley etc.
- Note: If you would like to take this dish to another level, top each portion with a sunny side up fried egg. The yolk will mix with the sauce to make a flavor explosion.