Mini Wingettes with Dijon Currant Dipping Sauce
|12 chicken wingettes|
|1/2 cup all purpose flour|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|3 egg whites|
|1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs|
|Canola or Corn oil|
|Dijon Currant sauce for dipping (recipe to follow)|
|1 jar of currant jelly ( you may also use apricot or peach preserves)|
|3 tbs Dijon mustard|
This recipe takes chicken wings and turns them into mini drumsticks. They are coated in a wonderful savory sweet sauce.
- Wash and pat dry the chicken wings.
- Cut off and discard the tip of each wing at the first joint, and discard.
- Cut apart the two remaining wing parts at the joint.
- Shape each wing part so it resembles a small drumstick by scraping all meat with a sharp knife from the smaller end to the larger end of the bone.
- Mix flour, salt and pepper in a shallow pan. dip wings in the flour mixture, making sure to coat evenly.
- Beat the egg whites in small bowl with fork until foamy. dip wings into the egg whites, then roll into bread crumbs, pressing to coat all sides.
- Place wings on a wire rack and let sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a deep fryer or a medium sauce pan to 365 degrees.
- fry the wings a few at a time, until golden and crispy. about 5 minutes. If wings are browning too quickly, lower the heat.
- Drain on a wire rack.
Dijon Currant Dipping Sauce:
- Mix the jelly and mustard in a sauce pan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until jelly melts.
- Serve warm.