Bread Pudding With Whiskey Sauce and Raisins
|4 beaten eggs|
|2 and 1/4 cups of milk|
|1/2 cup of sugar|
|1 tbs pure vanilla extract|
|1 tsp finely shredded orange peel|
|1/4 tsp ground cinnamon|
|4 cups dried bread cubes (to dry bread cubes place in a 350 degree oven and bake for 15 minutes)|
|1/3 cup raisins and or dried cranberries|
This is one of our favorite recipes. A great dessert for a family gathering. If you have kids or don’t use alcohol stay away from the whiskey sauce, it has quite a punch!
- In a bowl beat together eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, orange peel and cinnamon.
- In an un-greased 2 quart square baking dish, toss together the bread cubes and dried fruit.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over evenly over bread mixture.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool slightly and serve warm with Whiskey sauce.
- 1/4 cup of unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 beaten egg yolk
- 2 tbs water
- 2 tbs of bourbon ( more to taste if desired)
- In a small sauce pan melt the butter. Stir in the sugar, egg yolk, and water.
- Cook and constantly stir the mixture of medium-low heat for 5 or 6 minutes or until sugar dissolves and mixture boils.
- Remove from heat and stir in bourbon. Serve warm drizzled over the bread pudding.
- Serves 6-8.