Italian Seafood Salad
|1 pound of mussels, scrubbed|
|1/2 pound of medium shrimp, peeled and deviened|
|1 pound of sea scallops|
|1 pound of cleaned squid|
|1 small green pepper|
|1 small red pepper|
|1 carrot peeled|
|1 rib of celery cut into diagonal pieces|
|1 bay leaf|
|2/3 cup extra virgin olive|
|1/4 cup lemon juice|
|Dash of white wine vinegar|
|kosher salt and white pepper to taste|
|2 tbs capers, drained|
|3tbs chopped parsley|
|1 garlic clove minced|
|black olives for garnish|
|1 small red onion, thinly sliced|
This a very special Italian traditional salad. It has some incredibly bright flavors and is quick and easy to prepare. Grandma Damico never measured anything. So as always when asked how or how much, her standard response was “just a watch !” and if I didn’t pay attention she would take a whack at me with her wooden spoon that she almost always had in her hand. If you love seafood this salad is not only beautiful but sure to become one of your favorite dishes!
- Place the mussels in a large sauce pan with an inch depth of water. Bring to a boil, cover, and cook over high heat until the mussels are open about 4 minutes.
- Remove the mussels from the pan with a slotted spoon. Discard any mussels that did not open.
- Add 7 cups of water to cooking liquid. add the onion, bay leaf, and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil.
- Add the cleaned squid (left whole) reduce heat and simmer gently for about 5 minutes. Take care not to over cook.
- Halve, core and seed the peppers and cut into thin strips.
- Peel the carrot and pare into fine ribbons with a vegetable peeler.
- Cut the celery into diagonal pieces. Peel and slice the red onion into thin pieces.
- Remove the squid from the cooking liquid and set aside and add to an ice bath to stop the cooking.
- Bring the liquid back to a boil reduce heat and add the scallops and shrimp and poach gently. 2 to 3 minutes. Remove shrimp and scallops and set aside and add to an ice bath to stop the cooing.
- Using a sharp knife cut the squid into 1/2 inch rings.
- Cut the scallops into 4 even pieces.
- Reserve a few mussels in their shell for garnish. Shell the remaining mussels, and place in a large serving bowl with the squid, shrimp and scallops.
- Add the peppers and carrots celery and thinly sliced red onion.
- In a small mixing bowl mix together the oil, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, capers, parsley,and garlic.
- Season with kosher salt and white pepper to taste.
- Pour over seafood and gently mix
- Chill covered for at least 3 hours.
- Serve garnished with the mussels left in the shell and black olives.