Peruvian Shrimp and Scallop Ceviche
|1 pound of small shrimp, peeled and deveined|
|1 pound of scallops (if you use sea scallops cut each scallop into 3 or 4 even pieces)|
|1 hot red chili pepper|
|1 tbs coriander seeds|
|Fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|kosher salt to taste|
|8 leaves of Boston or butter lettuce|
|Juice of 8 limes|
|1 ripe tomato|
|1/2 of an English cucumber peeled and seeded|
|2 shallots diced|
|1 small bunch of cilantro|
In Lima Peru ceviche is a way of life with well over 2,000 ceviche restaurants the variety’s seem almost endless. Here is a version I think you will enjoy.
- Juice the limes in a non-reactive bowl add the shrimp and scallops
- In a spice mill grind the coriander seeds and black pepper. Dice the red pepper finely and add to bowl. Mix well and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Dice cucumbers, tomatoes and shallots
- Remove scallops and shrimp form refrigerator and add the cucumbers , tomatoes, chopped cilantro and shallots. Stir well and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Dice avocado and add the bowl and gently mix.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Pour off and reserve the marinade.
- Place ceviche in lettuce cups, garnish with cilantro.
- You may pour the reserved marinade into individual shot glasses for drinking.(This is called leche de tigre. The milk of the tiger)