Four Layer Coconut Cake
|3 cups all purpose flour|
|1 tsp baking powder|
|1 tsp kosher salt|
|2 and 2/3 cups of sugar|
|1 cup vegetable shortening|
|1/2 cup butter, softened|
|1 cup milk|
|2 tsp coconut extract|
|1 tsp vanilla extract|
|5 large eggs|
|1 6 oz Package of flaked coconut (thawed)|
|Coconut filling (recipe to follow)|
|2 cups whipping cream|
|1/4 cup powdered sugar|
|Garnish: toasted coconut shavings|
|2 cups sugar|
|1/4 cup flour|
|2 cups milk|
|4 eggs, beaten|
|2 (6oz) packages of flaked coconut|
|2 tsp vanilla extract|
Once the ingredients are assembled you can make this delicious, creamy coconut cake in about a hour.
- Beat first 7 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until well blended. Add extracts beating well.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
- Stir in coconut.
- Pour in batter into 4 greased and floured 9 inch round cake pans.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Cool in pans for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and continue to cool on racks.
- For the filling, cook first four ingredients in a large sauce pan over medium low heat.
- Spread coconut filling between layers.
- Beat whipping cream at high speed until foamy.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar, beating until soft peaks form.
- Spread on top and sides of cake.
- Garnish with toasted coconut.