Grilled Beef in Sweet Soy Marinade
- 1/2 pound of sirloin or fillet steak trimmed of fat
- 5 tbs of dark soy sauce
- 2 tbs of sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tbs of honey
- 1 tbs of sesame seeds
- 3 tbs Canola oil for cooking
- 1 spring onion for garnish
The combination of the soy sauce and honey marinade make this beef very tender. It is quick and easy to prepare and is bursting with deep flavor.
- Beat the steak gently on a cutting board with a meat mallet or a heavy bottomed pan until it is about 1/2 inch thick.
- Combine the soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic and honey in a shallow bowl and stire in the sesame seeds until all the ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Add the steak to the bowl with the soy and sesame mixture and turn it several times to ensure that it is well coated with the marinade and sesame seeds.
- Cover and let marinade for about an hour.
- Heat a grill pan or frying pan over high heat, then add the canola oil.
- Remove the beef from the marinade, allowing excess to drip off, and lay flat in the pan.
- Cook 2 to 3 minutes per side for medium rare.
- Transfer the steak to a serving dish and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with the spring onion and serve immediately.