Spicy Indian Butter Chicken
|1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast|
|1 lb boneless skinless chicken thigh|
|You may also use a whole chicken skin on if desired. Just cut it up into 8 pieces.|
|1 tbs ghee (clarified butter)|
|1 medium onion finely chopped|
|1/2 tbs fresh ginger, grated|
|2 cloves of garlic minced|
|2 Serrano or Jalapeno chilies chopped|
|3/4 cup tomato puree|
|2 tsp of curry powder|
|2 tsp garam masala|
|1 tsp cumin|
|1 tsp chili powder|
|1 stick of unsalted butter|
|3/4 cup of plain yogurt|
|2 tbs fresh cilantro|
Indian food is highly spiced and full of flavor. Many think that Indian is too complex for the home cook however, that is just not the case. It’s just a matter of a little prep work and an understanding of the flavor profiles.
- Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash the chicken and pat dry. Place on a baking sheet and cook for one hour.
- Melt the ghee in a cast iron or a skillet with a cover.
- Add the onion and cook over medium heat until golden
- Add the ginger, garlic and chilies and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato puree, the curry powder, garam masala, cumin and chili powder and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the butter and cook stirring until the butter has melted and mixed in well.
- Remove from the heat and add in the yogurt and mix well. Set aside.
- Cut the chicken into bite size pieces and add the the sauce and mix.
- Cover the pan and place in the oven for an additional 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with fresh cilantro before serving.
- Serve over rice.