Tuscan Bean Soup
- 2 cups canned cannellini beans drained
- 2 large onions peeled
- 6 celery stalks
- 1 lb ripe tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 6 cups of vegetable stock
- 1 tbs chopped fresh thyme
- Kosher or sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
- basil leaves for garnish
This is a classic soup from Tuscany. It has deep rich flavor and super silky texture. It is super good on a cold winter afternoon. This soup will take about 1 hour from start to finish..
- Drain the beans and put them into a sauce pan.Cover with fresh water and boil for about 5 minutes.
- Put half the beans in a blender of food processor and add about 1 cup of the cooking water and puree until smooth.
- Roughly chop the onions and celery.
- Peel and chop the tomatoes.
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan. add the onions , celery and garlic and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, stock, whole beans, and the bean puree.
- Add the thyme, and season with salt and pepper. bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer covered until vegetables are tender.About 20 minutes.
- Serve hot sprinkled with Parmesan cheese and crusty bread.