Tuscan Bean Soup
|2 cups canned cannellini beans drained|
|2 large onions peeled|
|6 celery stalks|
|1 lb ripe tomatoes|
|1/4 cup olive oil|
|2 cloves of garlic minced|
|6 cups of vegetable stock|
|1 tbs chopped fresh thyme|
|Kosher or sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|Parmesan cheese for garnish|
|basil leaves for garnish|
This is a classic soup from Tuscany. It has deep rich flavor and super silky texture. It is super good on a cold winter afternoon. This soup will take about 1 hour from start to finish..
- Drain the beans and put them into a sauce pan.Cover with fresh water and boil for about 5 minutes.
- Put half the beans in a blender of food processor and add about 1 cup of the cooking water and puree until smooth.
- Roughly chop the onions and celery.
- Peel and chop the tomatoes.
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan. add the onions , celery and garlic and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, stock, whole beans, and the bean puree.
- Add the thyme, and season with salt and pepper. bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer covered until vegetables are tender.About 20 minutes.
- Serve hot sprinkled with Parmesan cheese and crusty bread.