- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 stick of unsalted butter, divided
- 1 tsp crushed red peppers
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tb of sesame seeds for sprinkling (optional)
These cheese straws are a perfect snack. The good part is that this recipe uses real cheese and not the stuff you find on the shelf of the grocery store.
- Pre heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine cheese flour, and 2/3 of the butter which has cut into small chunks. Rub mixture together until it becomes crumbly and mixed well.
- Add the crushed red pepper and mix.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix in as much milk as needed to get the dough to stick together.
- For straws, lightly flour a flat surface, and roll the dough out into a longer slender piece about 1/4 inch thick.
- Slice the dough into desired lengths and carefully place on cookie trays coated with vegetable spray.
- Melt the remaining butter and brush the tops of the straws.
- Sprinkle with salt and sesame seeds if desired
- Bake for 10-14 minutes, until the straws are golden brown.
- Carefully remove from pans right away.
- May be stored in zip lock plastic bags.