English Fish and Chips
|1 lb cod fillets, skin off (4 fillets)|
|3 cups of canola oil for frying|
|1 cup flour|
|1 cup beer|
|kosher salt to taste|
|2 tsp baking powder|
|2 tsp old bay seasoning|
In the United Kingdom you can find fish and chips on almost every corner. The key to this dish is the proper batter, frying in clean oil and the proper chips (fries). In this post we are only going to give you the recipe for the fish. Here is our recipe for the fries. (fries are referred to as chips in the U.K.)
- Heat oil in a large sauce pan taking care not to use too much oil.
- Heat oil to 360 degrees.
- While oil is heating, in a large bowl add the flour, beer, baking powder, and old bay seasoning. Mix well.
- Dip the fillets in the batter and let excess run off.
- Add fillets to the hot oil, one at a time ( do not overcrowd pot) and fry until golden and crispy. About 5 minutes
- Drain on paper towels and serve immediately with chips.
- Serve with malt vinegar.