|1 onion, minced|
|1 carrot, minced|
|1 celery stalk, minced|
|2 tsp extra virgin olive oil|
|2 cloves garlic, minced|
|1 lb lean ground beef, or ground pork|
|2 tsp tomato paste|
|2/3 cups dry red wine (Chianti works well)|
|2/3 cups beef or chicken stock|
|16 oz can of Italian peeled tomatoes.(we like Cento)|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|3 tbs heavy cream|
|Dash of freshly grated nutmeg|
This is a classic Italian meat sauce that is a staple of northern Italy. There are many variations, Grandma D’amico said this was the real thing! Who am I to argue?!
- Heat oil in a large saucepan and add the onions, carrots, and celery. Saute until tender.
- Add the beef or pork with the tomato paste and cook until the meat changes color.
- Add the wine stock, and tomatoes. Break up tomatoes with a wooden spoon.
- Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg, reduce heat and simmer very gently until the meat is tender and sauce is reduced. about 1 hour.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Stir in cream, mix well, then serve over pasta.