- 1 onion, minced
- 1 carrot, minced
- 1 celery stalk, minced
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb lean ground beef, or ground pork
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 2/3 cups dry red wine (Chianti works well)
- 2/3 cups beef or chicken stock
- 16 oz can of Italian peeled tomatoes.(we like Cento)
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 3 tbs heavy cream
- Dash of freshly grated nutmeg
This is a classic Italian meat sauce that is a staple of northern Italy.There are many variations, Grandma D’amico said this was the real thing! Who am I to argue.
- Heat oil in a large sauce pan and add the onions, carrots and celery. Saute until tender.
- Add the beef or pork with the tomato paste and cook until the meat changes color.
- Add the wine stock, and tomatoes. Break up tomatoes with a wooden spoon.
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg, reduce heat and simmer very gently until meat is tender and sauce is reduced. about 1 hour.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Stir in cream, mix well, then serve over pasta.