Cauliflower Gruyere Gratin
|8 cups cauliflower florets|
|5 tbs flour|
|5 tbs unsalted butter|
|4 cups whole milk|
|1 cup Gruyere cheese, grated plus 1/2 cup for topping|
|1/2 cup panko bread crumbs, toasted|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
This recipe takes cauliflower to a whole new level, creamy with milk and Gruyere cheese.
- Cook 5 tbs, each of flour and unsalted butter in a medium pot over medium heat, whisking until foamy, about 30 seconds.
- Whisk in 4 cups of milk and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add 8 cups of cauliflower florets and cook stirring occasionally, until tender, about 8-12 minutes.
- Stir in 1 cup grated Gruyere cheese, then season with salt and pepper.
- Top with 1/2 cup toasted panko bread crumbs and 1/2 cup gruyere cheese.
- Place under a hot broiler and cook until golden brown on the top.