Sausage and Peppers Ragu
|4 lbs of sweet Italian sausage|
|1 lb box of rigatoni|
|6 sweet bell peppers (2 green, 2 yellow, 2 red) Seeds removed and sliced into 1/4 inch strips)|
|1 28 0z can of Italian style peeled tomatoes (We like Cento, because of its rich sauce and full flavor)|
|2 tbs of Italian seasoning|
|5 large cloves of garlic, minced|
|2 large red onions|
|Bunch of fresh basil|
|4 large fresh oregano sprigs|
|1 tbs sugar|
|1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil|
|1 tbs red pepper flakes|
|1/2 bottle of Malbec or other red wine|
|Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
- Halve peppers, remove seeds/pith, and cut into 1/4 inch strips.
- Peel and halve the onions slicing into strips.
- Add 1/2 of the olive oil to a large saute pan and saute peppers, onions and garlic, stirring frequently till almost done. About 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove peppers from pan and reserve in a large bowl.
- Prick the Italian sausages with a fork all over.
- In the same saute pan add the remaining olive oil .
- Using medium heat, brown the sausages on all sides until brown. About 15 minutes.
- When sausages are almost done remove them from the pan and let cool slightly.Add the canned tomatoes to the pan breaking up the tomatoes with a wooden spoon.
- Cut the sausages into bite sized pieces and add back to the tomatoes.
- Reintroduce the peppers to the pan and mix well.
- Add the red wine and sugar and let cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook the rigatoni, following the package directions.
- Cut the basil into thin strips (Chiffonade) and mince the oregano and add to the pan.
- Spoon the sausage and peppers over the rigatoni and serve with crusty bread and red wine.