- 2 lb's fresh mussels
- 1 lemon slice
- 6 tbs olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1 tbs chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbs fresh thyme
- 1 tsp of smoked Spanish paprika (if you don't have smoked you may use regular paprika)
- 1 tsp dried chili flakes
- 1/4 cup of dry white wine
This mussel appetizer is served without their shells, in a delicious white wine and smoked paprika flavored sauce. Eat them with fancy toothpicks.
- Scrub mussels, pulling off their beards, if any and discard any that are opened and will not close when tapped.
- Put mussels in a large pan with 1 cup of water and the lemon slice. Bring to a boil and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until all the mussels have opened. Discard any that do not open.
- Take the mussels out of their shells and drain on paper towels.
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan, and the mussels and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Remove the mussels from the pan and add the shallots and garlic and saute gently for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley, paprika, thyme, and chili.
- Return to the heat and add the mussels and white wine.
- Cook to let the sauce reduce and the flavors marry.