Sea Scallops with Mushrooms and Cheese Sauce (Mornay)
- 1 lb fresh sea scallops
- 1 and 1/2 cups mornay sauce( to make mornay sauce use are search engine to find bechamel sauce and add 1/2 cup of Gruyere cheese and a pinch of dry mustard to the recipe)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/4 lb sliced button mushrooms
- 2 cups fresh bread crumbs (you ma process french bread in a food processor)
- 1 stick of unsalted butter melted
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- lemon slices for garnish
This is another delicious way to enjoy fresh scallops. We use “mornay” sauce which is just a bechamel sauce with the addition of cheese. Also if available this dish may be presented in scallop shells. If the shells are not available, just us a gratin dish.
- Follow the directions to make the mornay sauce.
- Coat the bottom of a gratin dish or casserole dish with some mornay sauce.
- Sprinkle with white wine.
- Place the scallops in one layer, season with salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Place the mushrooms all around.
- Cover scallops and mushrooms with bread crumbs and butter,
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with lemon and serve.