Indian Codfish in Coconut Curry
- 1/4 cup dried shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 lb of cod fish fillets or any firm white fleshed fish
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp crushed dried red peppers
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp saffron
- Juice of 1 lime
Spicy coconut curry sauce makes this a very special fish dish. The curry is freshly made with onions, cumin, ginger, turmeric, cloves and fresh cracked black pepper.
- Add enough milk to dried coconut to make 1 cup.
- Let stand for 1 hour, then strain, using a wire mesh strainer.Be sure to squeeze all the milk out of the coconut, then discarding the coconut pulp.
- In a large saute pan melt butter over moderate heat.
- Add the onion, cumin, ginger, turmeric, coriander, cloves, red peppers and saffron. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add fish fillets and saute briefly on both sides.
- Add the coconut milk and lime juice, and bring just to a boil, then cover pot, turn heat to low and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Serve over rice.