- 1 dozen large quahog clams, with juice chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 leek, chopped , white and light green parts only
- 1/2 stuck of unsalted butter
- 2 boiling potatoes, cut into medium dice
- 1 green pepper seeded and diced
- 4 tomatoes,blanched, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 rib of celery diced
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 and 1/2 quarts of fish stock or water (fish stock is better)
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
This is a popular much loved version of clam chowder.
- Steam the clams until the shells open. reserve and strain the liquid through a wire mesh strainer.
- Dice the clams and set aside.
- In a large sauce pot saute the onion and leek in butter until soft.
- Add the potatoes, green pepper, tomatoes,bay leaf, celery,thyme, stock or water and the reserved clam liquid.
- Season with salt and pepper, cover and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the chopped clams and caraway seed and continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.