|1 lb lean ground lamb|
|1 large onion|
|1 and 1/2 lbs potatoes|
|1/4 cup button mushrooms, sliced|
|2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch rounds|
|1 bay leaf|
|2 tbs flour|
|1 and 1/4 cups of beef stock|
|1 tbs tomato paste|
|2 tbs butter|
|1/4 cup milk|
|1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese (optional)|
|Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
This is delicious classic British dish, served in pubs all over the U.K.
- Chop the onions, slice the mushrooms and carrots,
- Saute the lamb in a nonstick frying pan with the onion and mushrooms, carrots and bay leaf for 8 minutes, stirring frequently,
- Add the flour and cook, stirring 1 minute.
- Gradually blend in the stock and tomato paste.Cook stirring until thickened. Cook for about 25 minutes using medium heat.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until tender. About 20 minutes.
- Drain well then mash with butter and milk until smooth.
- Spoon the lamb mixture into a 2 quart baking dish, discarding the bay leaf.
- Adjust the seasoning.
- Cover with the mashed potato and sprinkle with the cheese if desired.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until top is slightly brown.