- 1 lb lean ground lamb
- 1 large onion
- 1 and 1/2 lbs potatoes
- 1/4 cup button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbs flour
- 1 and 1/4 cups of beef stock
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 2 tbs butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
This is delicious classic British dish, served in pubs all over the U.K.
- Chop the onions, slice the mushrooms and carrots,
- Saute the lamb in a nonstick frying pan with the onion and mushrooms, carrots and bay leaf for 8 minutes, stirring frequently,
- Add the flour and cook, stirring 1 minute.
- Gradually blend in the stock and tomato paste.Cook stirring until thickened. Cook for about 25 minutes using medium heat.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until tender. About 20 minutes.
- Drain well then mash with butter and milk until smooth.
- Spoon the lamb mixture into a 2 quart baking dish, discarding the bay leaf.
- Adjust the seasoning.
- Cover with the mashed potato and sprinkle with the cheese if desired.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until top is slightly brown.