Shrimp Sashimi/Sushi with Olive Oil and Yuzu
|1 lb of large shrimp, shell on and head on if possible. (you may remove heads and shells if desired, but leave the tails on for presentation purposes.)|
|1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil|
|2 tbs Yuzu juice (if yuzu is not available you may use lemon juice or a combination of lemon and lime juice|
|kosher salt to taste|
|4 cups boiling water|
|4 cups of water and ice (ice bath)|
This recipe is inspired by the great Japanese chef Nobu. Yuzu can be purchased at Asian markets, either fresh or bottled. It is a sour Japanese citrus fruit that has it’s own distinct flavor. This preparation with elevate you taste buds to new levels .Nobu uses live shrimp, however this is not always possible for most home cooks.So use the highest quality shrimp available. This recipe is pictured prepared as sushi. However we prefer it prepared as shashimi (no rice).
- In a medium stock pot, bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
- In a large bowl place ice and water on counter next to stove.
- Using kitchen tongs place shrimp, 2 at a time in boiling water for 4 seconds, no more.
- Add shrimp to ice water.
- Repeat process until all shrimp are cooked.
- In a small bowl, mix olive oil and yuzu and mix well.
- Add shrimp to Yuzu dressing and season with salt to taste
- Place artfully on serving plates with garnishes of your choice.