Steak with Cracked Pepper and Mustard Cream Sauce
|4 tbs black peppercorns|
|4 beef fillets|
|2 tbs unsalted butter|
|Parsley, chopped for garnish|
|1/3 cup white wine|
|12 cup heavy cream|
|2 tbs conac|
|kosher salt to taste|
This is a wonderful version of peppered steak cook in the French Manner.
- Coarsely crack the peppercorns using the edge of a pan or rolling pin.
- Press the cracked peppercorns into the fillets on each side.
- Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a saute pan.
- Over moderate heat brown the steaks on one side.Turn the meat over, reduce the heat to low and cook for 3 minutes.
- Transfer the steaks to a platter,reserving the cooking juices.
- Cover the steaks with aluminum foil and keep them warm in a low oven while you make the sauce.
- Over medium heat in the same sauce pan, add the wine, stirring to remove all of the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Slowly add the mustard, then stir in the paprika.
- Add the cream and raise the heat until almost boiling.
- Lower the heat.
- With a whisk stir in the cognac and cook over moderate to low heat until the sauce reduces by 25 %.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the plates on individual serving plates and pour some sauce over each steak.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.