Chicken in Champagne Sauce
|1 frying chicken 2 and 1/2 to 3 lbs,quartered
|3 tbs olive oil
|3/4 cup champagne
|2 tsps of fresh tarragon or 1 tsp of dried
|1 cup heavy cream
|1 egg lightly beaten
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
Here is a wonderful recipe with fringe benefits. The chicken is cooked in a wonderful sauce anchored by champagne, heavy cream, extra virgin olive oil and tarragon.
- Wash and dry chicken well.
- Season chicken on all sides with salt and pepper
- In a large saute pan using medium heat brown the chicken well on all sides.
- As chicken browns reduce heat to low and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, turning occasionally.
- When chicken is completely done, trans to a serving platter.
- In the same saute pan add the champagne and with a wooden spoon remove all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Mix well
- Mix in the tarragon and add 2/3 cup of the cream, and simmer until the sauce is reduced by a third.
- Whisk the lightly beaten egg yolk with the remaining cream.
- Add 2 to 3 tbs of the champagne sauce to the egg-cream mixture (to Temper) then quickly add to the skillet.
- Raise the heat to moderate and cook until it thickens slightly,stirring constantly.
- Nap (pour) the sauce over the chicken and serve at once.