Mexican Seafood Stuffed Chilies
|6 fresh poblano chillies|
|2 cloves garlic minced|
|1 tbs canola oil|
|1/4 cup red onion, chopped|
|1/4 lb lump crab meat|
|1/4 cup small shrimp, peeled de-veined and chopped|
|1/4 tsp ground cumin|
|1 tsp oregano|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|1 cup Monterey jack cheese|
|1/2 cup pepper jack cheese|
This recipe uses roasted poblano chilies which are readily available at your grocery store. The are dark green and about half the size of a bell pepper. They are slightly spicy and roasting brings out and incredible flavor.
- Roast peppers over a gas flame or under a broiler turning until skin is black and charred.
- Put peppers in a zip lock bag for 5 minutes. This will loosen the skin. Once peppers have steamed in the plastic bag, remove them and pull away the black skin. Do not rinse the peppers.
- Cut the top off the peppers and with a spoon remove seeds and ribs. Reserve the tops of the peppers.
- Heat cooking oil in a saute pan, and add the garlic and onion. About 3 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and cook until they are pink. About 2 minutes.
- Add the crab meat, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Add the crab meat, remove from the heat and gently mix all ingredients.
- Add half of the cheese, and mix.
- Stuff each pepper with an equal amount of the seafood and cheese mixture
- Place stuffed chilies in a baking dish and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover baking dish with foil and bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes.