Moroccan Kefta with Yogurt Cucumber Sauce
- 1/2 lb ground chuck
- 1/2 lb ground lamb
- 2 scallions, white parts only
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp tabasco sauce
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- juice of 1 lemon
- For the Yogurt Sauce:
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 3 green onions, minced
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 cucumber,peeled seeded and coarsley grated (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium tomato,peeled, seeded and chopped
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
These ground meat rolls are grilled and sold by street vendors in Morocco. Place the meat inside pita rolls and use with yogurt cucumber sauce. Form the skewers ahead of time and refrigerate. When they are well chilled, they are lest likely to come apart when grilling. Serves 8.
- Place onion, garlic, parsley, cumin, paprika,salt and pepper in a food processor. Finely mince.
- Scrape down the sides and add the lamb, beef and lemon juice.
- Pulse a few times to combine ingredients.
- Divide mixture into 8 equal balls and poke a pre soaked bamboo skewer through each ball.
- Moisten hands with water and spread meat on to skewer in a sausage shape.About 1 inch in diameter and 4 inches long.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours before grilling.
- Grill for about 10 minutes, turning frequently.
- Combine all ingredients and pour into a serving bowl. Refrigerate for a hour before serving.
- Spoon sauce into pita pockets with Kefta or serve on the side.