Rich Cocoa Cake
|1/2 cup cold water|
|2 heaping tbs of cocoa powder|
|1 cup brown sugar|
|3 tbs butter|
|1 tsp kosher salt|
|1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract|
|1/2 cup sour cream|
|1/2 cup milk|
|1 tsp baking soda|
|2 cups sifted flour|
|1/3 unsalted butter softened|
|1/3 cup cocoa powder|
|dash of salt|
|6 to 8 cups of powdered sugar|
|1 tsp pure vanilla extract|
|2 to 3 tbs hot water|
This cake is super rich and is full of coca powder, brown sugar, butter and eggs. It is absolutely delicious.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease to 8 inch cake pans and set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, mix together the cold water and cocoa powder.
- Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture starts to boil.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- The mix should be paste-like.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the sugars and butter.
- Add the eggs, salt and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the cocoa mixture and beat well.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sour cream, milk and baking soda.
- Gradually add the sour cream mix to the batter, alternating with the flour.
- Beat well after each addition.
- Pour batter mixture into the pans and bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted int he center comes our clean.
- Remove cakes from the oven and let cool then remove cakes from the pans. Let the cakes cool completely before icing
- For the icing, cream together the butter and cocoa power until fluffy. Add the salt.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar, beating well.
- Add the vanilla and mix well.
- If icing is too stiff add a little water at a time to reach desired consistency.
- Place (1) of the cakes on a platter and spread a thin coating of icing over it. Place the other cake atop and using a cake spatula, spread icing artfully over the cake.
- Slice and serve.