Barbecue Beans with Crispy Bacon
- 1 (15 oz) butter or lima beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (15 oz) cans of navy or white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 lb thick sliced bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- 2 tbs yellow mustard
- 1 tbs liquid smoke
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbs molasses
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
This recipe uses canned beans which will allow you to make these beans in about an hour and a half as opposed to 8 hours or more. We use Bacon, white, Lima, and black beans in this recipe. You may use any beans that you like, as well as use either pulled pork or brisket.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large cast iron dutch oven add the chopped bacon and cook till almost crispy.
- Add the onions , garlic, and peppers and cook for several more minutes.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients and gently mix well. Taste to adjust seasoning.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour.
- Alternatively you may place the dutch oven over hot coals in a covered grill and cook for 1 hour. This will give you a wonderful smoky flavor.