The Dagwood Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 9 tbs butter at room temperature, divided
- 1 red onion sliced 1/8 inch thick
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 8 slices of thick sliced white bread
- 8 slices of Wisconsin American cheese
- 4 slices of Wisconsin Swiss Cheese
- 1/2 lb smoked ham, sliced
- 2 large beefsteak tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick (8 slices)
- optional: Top with some mac and cheese
This is another great recipe from our friends at Wisconsin Cheese. This sandwich includes Wisconsin American and Swiss cheeses paired with beefsteak tomatoes, smoked ham and red onions.
- Heat saute pan over high heat and add 1 tbs butter, melt and add onion slices.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, turning once.
- Remove to a plate and reserve.
- Butter one side of each bread slice.
- Heat saute pan over medium heat and add 4 bread slices, butter side down.
- Layer each slice of bread with 1 slice of american cheese, 1 slice of Swiss cheese, 2 ounces of ham and about 1 tbs of sauteed onions, 2 slices of tomato and an additional slice of American cheese.
- Top sandwiches with remaining 4 slices of bread, butter side up.
- Saute sandwiches for 3 minutes and turn carefully and grill until golden brown and the cheeses are melted.