The Dagwood Grilled Cheese Sandwich
|9 tbs butter at room temperature, divided|
|1 red onion sliced 1/8 inch thick|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|8 slices of thick sliced white bread|
|8 slices of Wisconsin American cheese|
|4 slices of Wisconsin Swiss Cheese|
|1/2 lb smoked ham, sliced|
|2 large beefsteak tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick (8 slices)|
|optional: Top with some mac and cheese|
This is another great recipe from our friends at Wisconsin Cheese. This sandwich includes Wisconsin American and Swiss cheeses paired with beefsteak tomatoes, smoked ham and red onions.
- Heat saute pan over high heat and add 1 tbs butter, melt and add onion slices.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, turning once.
- Remove to a plate and reserve.
- Butter one side of each bread slice.
- Heat saute pan over medium heat and add 4 bread slices, butter side down.
- Layer each slice of bread with 1 slice of american cheese, 1 slice of Swiss cheese, 2 ounces of ham and about 1 tbs of sauteed onions, 2 slices of tomato and an additional slice of American cheese.
- Top sandwiches with remaining 4 slices of bread, butter side up.
- Saute sandwiches for 3 minutes and turn carefully and grill until golden brown and the cheeses are melted.