Fried Oyster Cakes
- 1 pint of shucked select oysters, drained and juice reserved
- 1/2 cup of bread crumbs
- 1 tbs mayonnaise
- 3 scallions, sliced thinly, white and green parts
- 1/2 cup corn meal
- 1 tbs old bay seasoning
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- canola oil for frying
This is a unique spin on fried oysters that is absolutely delicious.
- Over a large bowl drain the oysters through a wire mesh strainer. Reserve liquid for another use.(seafood chowder or gumbo etc. liquid may be frozen)
- Cut the oysters into 1/8 inch chunks and place in a bowl.
- Add the bread crumbs, scallions, old bay, mayonnaise, and pepper and mix well
- Form the oyster mixture into golf ball sized cakes then dredge in corn meal.
- Place dredged oyster cakes in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Fill a saute pan with enough oil to be 2 inches deep.
- Heat oil to 365 degrees and fry cakes turning once until golden brown.
- Serve with tartar or cocktail sauce.