Fried Oyster Cakes
|1 pint of shucked select oysters, drained and juice reserved|
|1/2 cup of bread crumbs|
|1 tbs mayonnaise|
|3 scallions, sliced thinly, white and green parts|
|1/2 cup corn meal|
|1 tbs old bay seasoning|
|fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|canola oil for frying|
This is a unique spin on fried oysters that is absolutely delicious.
- Over a large bowl drain the oysters through a wire mesh strainer. Reserve liquid for another use.(seafood chowder or gumbo etc. liquid may be frozen)
- Cut the oysters into 1/8 inch chunks and place in a bowl.
- Add the bread crumbs, scallions, old bay, mayonnaise, and pepper and mix well
- Form the oyster mixture into golf ball sized cakes then dredge in corn meal.
- Place dredged oyster cakes in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Fill a saute pan with enough oil to be 2 inches deep.
- Heat oil to 365 degrees and fry cakes turning once until golden brown.
- Serve with tartar or cocktail sauce.