Short Rib and Brie Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Pickled Red Onions
|2 tbs extra virgin olive oil|
|4 bone-in beef short ribs|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|1 small yellow onion, chopped|
|2 cloves garlic, crushed|
|1 carrot, cut into 1 inch pieces|
|1 celery stalk cut into 1 inch pieces|
|1/2 cup red wine|
|4 cups beef broth canned or Food So Good Mall Beef Broth|
|1 tbs tomato paste|
|1/2 cup red wine vinegar|
|1/2 cup water|
|1/2 cup sugar|
|2 red onions sliced|
|6 tbs butter at room temperature|
|8 slices country French Bread|
|12 ounces of Wisconsin Brie Cheese sliced|
This a version of a grilled cheese sandwiches that use creamy Wisconsin Brie cheese paired with slow braised short ribs. The ribs take a long time to cook., but we recommend using a slow cooker and cook the ribs on low for 8 hours. Just put them on before you go to work and they will be ready by the time you get home. This recipe adapted from Wisconsin Cheese.
- For the meat heat a large saute pan using medium heat and add a few tbs of olive oil and brown the short ribs on all sides.
- Remove the ribs and add them to a crock pot.
- Add the chopped onions, celery and carrots to the same saute pan and saute until slightly soft.
- Add the wine and stock, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wood spoon.
- Add the tomato paste, and beef stock and reduce by about 1/3.
- Pour the mixture over the ribs in the crock pot.
- Cook the ribs for 8 hours on low.
- Once the ribs are done, remove them from the liquid and strain the liquid using a wire mesh strainer.
- Add the liquid to a sauce pan and reduce by half.
- Remove the meat from the bones and set aside.
- Pour the reduced liquid over the meat.
- For the pickled onions place vinegar, water, sugar and a little salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Place the onions in a non-reactive bowl and pour the liquid over them. Cover and cool.
- To assemble the sandwiches, heat a large saute pan or griddle using medium high heat.
- Melt 1-2 tbs of butter and add 4 slices of bread.
- Top each slice with 1/8 inch of Brie slices and some of the glazed short ribs and pickled onions.
- Top with the remaining bread which has been spread with butter.
- Grill until the bread is golden and the cheese is melted, turning once.