- 2 cups of finely chopped clams
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 1 stalk of celery, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- canola oil for deep frying
These fritters are perfect as appetizers or as a main course. You may also substitute other seafood with this recipe. Mussels, Crab, Shrimp, Scallops or Conch, or a combination.
- Drain any liquid from the clams.
- In a large bowl, add the clams, onion, celery, garlic, eggs and milk together.
- In another bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and cayenne pepper.4-
- Stir the flour mixture into the conch mixture to form a thick batter and season with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes to let batter rest.
- Fill a sauce pan or deep fryer 1/4 full of oil and heat to 360 degrees
- When oil is hot, drop a few tablespoons of batter into the oil and fry until golden brown. About 3-4 minutes.
- Repeat with the remaining batter, adding several fritters to the oil at one time, taking care not to over crowd.
- Serve fritters with hot sauce, cocktail sauce of spicy mayonnaise.