|1 lb beef flank steak, cut into thin strips across the grain|
|1 tsp dry sherry|
|1 tsp ginger|
|1 tsp sugar|
|2 tbs oyster sauce|
|1 tsp sesame oil|
|1 tsp cornstarch|
|1/2 tsp baking soda|
|salt and pepper to taste|
|2 cloves garlic, chopped|
|1 small onion, halved and sliced|
|8 small dried red peppers|
|1 tbs Szechuan peppercorns|
|1 carrot, peeled and cut into 1 inch batons|
|1 cup snow peas sliced on a diagonal|
|1/2 cup celery, cut on the diagonal|
|1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced|
|1/4 cup chicken stock|
|1/4 cup water|
Szechuan cook is the spiciest of all Chinese cooking. It uses a lot of dried red peppers which are very hot as well as Szechuan peppercorns with are very numbing to the mouth. If you like spicy this recipe is for you. This recipe has a lot of ingredients. For a successful dish you will have to prepare all of your ingredients in advance because the cooking goes very fast. This recipe may also be prepared with chicken, shrimp or pork.
- Make a marinade, with the sherry, ginger, sugar, oyster sauce, cornstarch and baking soda.
- Mix well and add beef. Let marinate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile blanch the carrots and celery in boiling water for 2 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- Next make the seasoning sauce by combining 1/4 cup of chicken stock, 1/4 cup water, cornstarch. 1 tsp sesame oil, and 1 tbs soy sauce. Mix well and set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or large saute pan until very hot.
- Add the marinated beef and sir fry until browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the red peppers and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the Szechuan peppercorns
- Add the onions, garlic, snow peas, carrots, celery and mushrooms and stir fry for another 1 minute.
- Add the carrots celery and snow peas and continue to stir fry.
- Add the seasoning sauce and stir fry for another minute.
- Serve with rice.