Thai Spicy Rice Peanut Balls
|2 cups jasmine rice|
|2 garlic cloves minced|
|1 tbs fresh ginger, minced|
|1 tsp turmeric|
|1 tsp sugar|
|2 tsp fish or soy sauce|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|1 tsp red chili paste|
|juice of 1/2 lime|
|1 tbs cilantro, chopped|
|1 cup of unsalted peanuts, chopped|
|Canola oil for frying|
|lime wedges and chili sauce for serving.|
These spicy rice balls are flavored with ginger, turmeric and red chili paste. They are perfect for a party pleasing appetizer.
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Place the garlic, ginger and turmeric in a food processor or blender and process until the mixture forms a paste.
- Add the sugar, chili paste and fish or soy sauce along with the cilantro and lime juice
- Add the sugar, salt, chili sauce and fish sauce.
- Pulse to mix all ingredients.
- Add 3/4 of the cooked rice to the paste in the food processor and process until smooth and sticky.
- Wet your hands and shape the mixture into balls, about 1/2 the size of a golf ball.
- place the chopped peanuts in a dish and roll the balls in them, making sure they are evenly coated.
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer or wok to 350 degrees.
- Add the peanut balls and cook until crisp.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with lime wedges and chili dipping sauce.