Authentic Oaxacan Red Mole with Chicken
|4 boneless chicken breasts
|1/4 medium white onion
|3 cloves garlic, peeled
|1 tbs salt
|5 Guajillo chilies
|10 red Ancho chilies
|1 tbs sesame seeds
|2 rolls of bread
|1 stick cinnamon
|1 tbs mix thyme, marjoram, oregano
|1/2 cup of Mexican chocolate, cut into pieces
|4 tbs lard
|3 cloves garlic
|1/8 medium white onion
|3 medium tomatoes, roasted
|2 cups chicken broth
|1 tbs sugar
|1 tbs salt
The signature preparation in Oaxaca, Mexico is mole. It is quite complex but well worth time it takes to prepare. This version uses a variety of chilies, seeds, nuts raisins and Mexican chocolate. This recipe is the courtesy of Restaurant La Olla in Oaxaca Mexico. Serves 4. You may also make a large batch of this sauce and freeze for later use.
- Cook the chicken in 4 cups of water, with garlic onion and salt on medium heat for 45 minutes.Wash the chilies with a damp cloth, remove the stems of the chilies, slit open with a knife and remove the seeds and veins. Toast the chilies on both sides in a large frying pan over high heat, making sure that they do not burn.
- Soak the chilies in boiling water sot soften them for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, fry the almonds in the lard ad medium heat for 5 minutes, or until they are a golden color.
- Take them out and set aside.
- Next fry the raisins until they puff up and the skin browns a bit, then remove and strain in a sieve.
- Turn the heat down a bit, and fry the sesame seeds in the same oil, adding salt to prevent them from jumping from the pan.
- Once golden, remove and place on paper towels to drain.
- In the same oil, fry the slices of bread, until they are golden. Remove and put on paper towels to drain.
- Using a dry pan roast the garlic, onion and tomato until they are nicely toasted with black spots.
- In a blender, grind the chilies with a half cup of water.
- Once the mixture is smooth, pour into a sauce pan and fry with 1 tbs of the lard for 10 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Next blend both the roasted and fried ingredients together, until smooth.
- blend the tomatoes and strain through a wire colander and add into the chili mixture.
- Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, salt, sugar and chocolate.
- Cook for 15 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Pour over the chicken and serve with rice.