Mozzarella Grilled Cheese Sandwich on Rosemary Focaccia
|7 tbs butter at room temperature, divided|
|1 clove garlic, minced|
|1 tbs extra virgin olive oil|
|1/2 lb of shitake mushroom caps, thinly sliced|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|4 focaccia-style rolls, split|
|4 Wisconsin fresh Mozzarella oval-tine-sized balls, cut into 8 slices|
|16 slices of pepperoni|
|1/2 cup ripe olive slices|
|6 to 8 peperoncini, halved|
|4 ozs marinated sun-dried tomatoes, dried and thinly sliced|
This grilled cheese sandwich uses rosemary focaccia bread along with fresh Wisconsin Mozzarella cheese, sauteed shitake mushrooms spicy pepperoni, sun dried tomatoes and black olives. Recipe courtesy of Wisconsin Cheese.
- Mix 6 tbs of butter with the garlic until light and smooth.
- Heat a saute pan over high heat, add olive oil, 1 tbs of butter and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper and saute for 5 minutes.
- Spread cut sides of rolls with garlic butter.
- Heat a large saute pan and place roll bottoms in the pan, butter side down.
- Grill until golden brown.
- Flip roll bottoms and layer on each bottom 4 slices of Mozzarella cheese, 4 slices of pepperoni, some black olive slices, 3 to 4 peperoncini halves, some sauteed mushrooms, 1 ounce sun-dried tomatoes, and 4 more slices of mozzarella.
- Place roll tops over and grill until cheese is melted and bread is crisp and golden, turning sandwiches over once during grilling.