- 7 tbs butter at room temperature, divided
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lb of shitake mushroom caps, thinly sliced
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 4 focaccia-style rolls, split
- 4 Wisconsin fresh Mozzarella oval-tine-sized balls, cut into 8 slices
- 16 slices of pepperoni
- 1/2 cup ripe olive slices
- 6 to 8 peperoncini, halved
- 4 ozs marinated sun-dried tomatoes, dried and thinly sliced
This grilled cheese sandwich uses rosemary focaccia bread along with fresh Wisconsin Mozzarella cheese, sauteed shitake mushrooms spicy pepperoni, sun dried tomatoes and black olives. Recipe courtesy of Wisconsin Cheese.
- Mix 6 tbs of butter with the garlic until light and smooth.
- Heat a saute pan over high heat, add olive oil, 1 tbs of butter and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper and saute for 5 minutes.
- Spread cut sides of rolls with garlic butter.
- Heat a large saute pan and place roll bottoms in the pan, butter side down.
- Grill until golden brown.
- Flip roll bottoms and layer on each bottom 4 slices of Mozzarella cheese, 4 slices of pepperoni, some black olive slices, 3 to 4 peperoncini halves, some sauteed mushrooms, 1 ounce sun-dried tomatoes, and 4 more slices of mozzarella.
- Place roll tops over and grill until cheese is melted and bread is crisp and golden, turning sandwiches over once during grilling.