|1/2 lb of ground chuck|
|1 tbs olive oil|
|2 tbs sofrito|
|1 packet of Sazon with coriander and annatto|
|1/4 cup tomato sauce|
|2 cloves garlic, minced|
|1/2 onion, diced|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|1 tsp oregano|
|6 large stuffed olives|
|1 package of Discos (frozen turnover dough) or 1 pkg of puff pastry.|
|canola oil for frying|
This is a Cuban version of the popular Latin American favorite meat pies. “Empanadas”. To simplify the preparation you may use either discos which are frozen turnover dough or frozen puff pastry.
- In a saute pan heat oil using medium heat and stir in the beef and cook until browned.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, except for the pastry.
- Lower the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- If you are using discos, roll out on a floured surface.
- If you are using puff pastry, roll out a sheet on a floured surface and cut circles using a cookie cutter or a glass. About 3 to 4 inches in diameter. Using a fork put puncture holes all over the dough circles.
- Spoon about 1 tbs of meat mixture in the middle, moisten edges, fold over and seal with a fork.
- Heat about 2 inches of oil in a large saute pan or deep fryer.
- Cook empanadas in batches turning to brown on both sides.
- Drain on paper towels.