- 3 lbs of pork shoulder cut into 1 inch chunks, trimmed of fat
- 1 lb of chorizo
- 2 cups of sofrito
- 1/2 lb of Kabocha squash ( available in most Latin markets. If you can't find it use any other variety of pumpkin available)
- 1/2 cup of frozen corn
- 2 cups of chicken stock, more to cover if needed
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 tomato, diced
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 can of chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbs of canola oil
This is Puerto Rican comfort food at it’s best. Traditionally pigs feet are used. We have adapted this recipe to use pork shoulder. In addition to the pork, pumpkin, corn, potato, tomatoes and garbanzo beans are used.
- Add several tbs of oil to a large sauce pan and add the pork chunks.
- Cook stirring occasionally until pork chunks are browned all over.
- Remove pork chunks from pan and set aside.
- To the same pan add the sofrito and saute for about 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add all the other ingredients and make sure liquid covers.
- Simmer partially covered for 2 hours, adding more liquid if necessary.